Friday, February 19, 2010

Family Worship and Evangelism

I got to hang out all day with JP yesterday. Megan wasn't feeling well so I decided JP and I were going to have some "Father-Son" time. We spent some time watching cartoons, organizing my tools in the garage, and practiced hitting a baseball off the tee. It was by no means a wasted day, and I know this by the huge hugs and the "I love you daddy" I got frequently throughout the day. Last night I was laying in bed trying to think if there was anything that could have made the day better. Then it hit me- JP watches and imitates everything I do. This is not by any means a new revelation. When I hug mommy... he wants to hug mommy. When I lay beside John in the floor... he lays beside John. When I'm talking to the waitress at O-Charley's... he is talking to her too.

We know that family worship is a must. It's commanded in Scripture (no where clearer than Deuteronomy 6) so we do it. It is our duty as parents to make sure our children know Scripture and it's application and the best place for this is during our regular family worship times. So how do we connect family worship and evangelism?

Our kids must understand that Scripture commands us to share the Gospel. Acts 1:8 and Matthew 28:18-20 are verses we should all be memorizing and practicing. So we teach our kids these verses and then show them the text's application with our very lifestyle. We take them outside to play. When the neighbor across the street comes over to say hi... you lovingly share the Gospel with them in front of your child. When the waitress brings you your food, you ask if she would like to pray with your family or if there is anything specific that the family could pray for her about. Our very lifestyles should be calling others to repent and believe.

JP likes to talk like me too. Phrases like "You want some of this!!' "You like that!!" "You want to ride this train??!!" and others I would rather not mention all came from me. I wonder how long it would take JP to learn to spout off randomly things like "While you were still a sinner, Christ died" or "If you confess with your mouth and believe in your heart that Jesus is Lord, you will be saved" or what about something crazy like "A prayer doesn't save you, but God changing your heart and desires does".

Preach evangelism with your lifestyle... you never know what your kid may pick up.

No comments:

Post a Comment